1849 1850 1851 - 1852 - 1853 1854 1855
1820s 1830s 1840s - 1850s - 1860s 1870s 1880s
18th century - 19th century - 20th century
- January 14 - President Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte proclaims a new constitution for the French Second Republic.
- January 17 - United Kingdom recognizes independence of the Transvaal
- Devil's Island penal colony opens
- February 11 - First British public toilet for women opens in Bedford Street, London
- February 15 - Great Ormond St Hospital for Sick Children, London, admits first patient
- February 16 - Studebaker Brothers wagon company, precursor of the automobile manufacturer, is established
- February 19 - The Phi Kappa Psi fraternity is founded at Jefferson College in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania
- March 1 - Archibald William Montgomerie, 13th Earl of Eglinton appointed Lord Lieutenant of Ireland
- April 1 - Start of Second Burmese War
- September 24 - French engineer Henri Giffard makes the first airship trip from Paris to Trappes
- November - Franklin Pierce defeats Winfield Scott in the U.S. presidential election
- November 4 - Count Cavour becomes Piedmont prime minister
- November 7 - President Bonaparte proclaimed Emperor Napoleon III of France
- November 11 - New houses of Parliament opened in Britain
- November 21/November 22 New French Empire confirmed by plebiscite: 7,824,000 for, 253,000 against
- December 2 - Napoleon III becomes Emperor of France.
- March 1 - [[Th�ophile Delcass�]], French statesman (d. 1923)
- April 1 - Edwin Austin Abbey, American painter
- April 13 - F.W. Woolworth, merchant/businessman, founder of Woolworth's
- April 22 - Grand Duke Guillaume IV of Luxembourg
- May 4 - Alice Pleasance Liddell, inspiration for the novel Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
- May 31 - Julius Richard Petri, German bacteriologist, inventor of Petri dish.
- July 12 - [[Hip�lito Yrigoyen]], President of Argentina (1916-1922, 1928-1930; d. 12 July 1933).
- September 12 - Herbert Henry Asquith, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- November 3 - Mutsuhito of Japan, later the Meiji Emperor.
- November 11 - [[Franz Conrad von H�tzendorf]], chief of Austro-Hungarian general staff for much of World War I.
- December 15 - Henri Becquerel, French physicist
- January 6 - Louis Braille, teacher, developed writing system for the blind
- March 4 - Nikolai Gogol, writer (b. 1809)
- September 4 - William MacGillivray, naturalist and ornithologist
- September 14 - Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, British commander at the Battle of Waterloo and Prime Minister.
- October 24 - Daniel Webster, American lawyer/speaker/Minister of Foreign affairs, dies at 70.
- November 30 - Junius Brutus Booth, English actor.
af:1852 ast:1852 bg:1852 ca:1852 cs:1852 cy:1852 da:1852 de:1852 et:1852 el:1852 es:1852 eo:1852 eu:1852 fr:1852 fy:1852 hr:1852 hu:1852 io:1852 is:1852 it:1852 he:1852 la:1852 nl:1852 no:1852 pl:1852 pt:1852 ro:1852 ru:1852 sl:1852 sr:1852 fi:1852 sv:1852 tr:1852 uk:1852 wa:1852 zh-cn:1852年