Coat of Arms of New Brunswick
The coat of arms of New Brunswick, known officially as The Arms of Her Majesty in Right of the Province of New Brunswick, was begun when the shield and motto in the achievement were granted on May 26, 1868 by Queen Victoria. These arms were based upon the first Great Seal of the province.
The shield features a lion passant or "leopard" in chief, commemorating both England (whose arms feature three such lions) and Brunswick (whose arms have two). The principle charge is an ancient galley, symbolizing the maritime province's links to the sea.
The supporters are white-tailed deer collared with Maliseet friendship wampum, and bear badges of the Union colours and of the fleurs-de-lis of royal France, to commemorate the colonization of the area by those powers.
The coat of arms of New Brunswick is blazoned as follows:
- Shield: Or, on waves, a lymphad, or ancient galley with oars in action proper, on a chief gules, a lion passant guardant.
- Crest: Upon a helm with wreath or and gules within a coronet comprising 4 maple leaves (3 manifest) set upon a rim of water barry wave azure and argent leaping an atlantic salmon, upholding on its back our Royal Crown, both proper mantled gules doubled Or.
- Supporters: On either side a white tailed deer, each gorged with a collar of Maliseet wampum, proper and pendant an escutcheon, that to the dexter bearing our union badge and that to the sinister the arms Azure 3 fleurs-de-lis Or, otherwise France modern.
- Compartment: Comprising a grassy mount with the floral emblem of the said Province of New Brunswick, the purple violet and young ostrich fern (commonly called fiddlehead) growing all proper.
- Motto: Spem reduxit (Hope was restored).