Coat of Arms of Ontario
The Coat of Arms of Ontario, formally The Arms of Her Majesty in Right of Ontario, was begun when the shield was granted by Royal Warrant of Queen Victoria in 1868. The crest and supporters were granted Royal Warrant by King Edward VII in 1909.
The shield of arms consists of three golden maple leaves, representing Canada, on a green background. On a chief is Cross of St. George, representing England.
The motto is Ut incepit Fidelis sic permanet, Latin for Loyal she began, loyal she remains. It refers to the Loyalist refugees from the American Revolution, who settled in Ontario while it was still part of Quebec, and for whom the area was separated as Upper Canada.
The shield is blazoned:
- Vert, a sprig of three maple leaves slipped Or, on a chief argent a cross gules.
|Ontario Shield of Arms|
The shield of arms is used on the Flag of Ontario.