Little River-Academy, Texas
Little River-Academy is located at 30°59'6" North, 97°21'18" West (30.985136, -97.355089)1. It is situated on the Little River and it is at the intersection of State Highway 95 and Farm Road 436. It is ten miles south of Temple, TX.
As of the census of 2000, there are 1,645 people, 584 households, and 439 families residing in the city. The population density is 231.8/km² (599.3/mi²). There are 618 housing units at an average density of 87.1/km² (225.1/mi²). The racial makeup of the city is 88.75% White, 0.36% African American, 0.36% Native American, 0.55% Asian, 0.00% Pacific Islander, 6.81% from other races, and 3.16% from two or more races. 12.22% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 584 households out of which 43.5% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.9% are married couples living together, 11.6% have a female householder with no husband present, and 24.7% are non-families. 20.7% of all households are made up of individuals and 10.6% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.82 and the average family size is 3.29.
In the city the population is spread out with 32.2% under the age of 18, 7.8% from 18 to 24, 31.6% from 25 to 44, 17.9% from 45 to 64, and 10.5% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 33 years. For every 100 females there are 95.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 88.8 males.
The median income for a household in the city is $39,063, and the median income for a family is $45,625. Males have a median income of $32,500 versus $21,081 for females. The per capita income for the city is $15,236. 9.9% of the population and 6.2% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total people living in poverty, 12.5% are under the age of 18 and 17.5% are 65 or older.
There was a fort here, built in 1836, named Fort Griffin. Because of fights with native americans, white people settled near the fort. The railroad came to town in 1880, and the post office in 1886. By 1914, there were 250 inhabitants. The towns off Little River and Academy merged in 1980 to form Little River Academy.