Internet games are games that are played online via the Internet. They are distinct from video and computer games in that they are normally platform independent, relying solely on client-side technologies (normally called 'plugins'). Normally all that is required to play Internet games are a web browser and the appropriate plugin (normally available for free via the plugin maker's website). A game played in a browser is often called a browser-based game.
However, there are also server-side games which do not require plugins and process the data on the game server instead of the player's computer. These games are typically not as visually appealing as client-side based games, but make up for that in advanced functionality, particularly because it is easier to implement multiplayer capabilities. BattleMaster is an example server-side game.
Hybrids of server- and client-side games also exist.
- Open Directory Project's Browser Based Video Game category
- MSN Gaming Zone with numerous online games in Java and Flash
- Bonus A kid-safe site with lots of games in Java and Shockwave
- Shockwave's site with numerous games implemented in Shockwave, even many arcade classics
- Electronic Art's Pogo online game site
- Sweet Tooth Games
- Free Online Games Game site that you can submit your game link to this website
- Nationstates is a server-side game with the theme of political simulation
- Neopets combines both client-(Flash/Shockwave) and server-side (PHP) technologies
- Free Arcade (Warning: Popups)
- Coffee Break Arcade
- Playsite offers numerous games
- PunkBuster Online Countermeasures
- ZeroRacer Large directory of Flash, Java, and Shockwave games
- Flashplayer with games, toons and Forums
- Arcade Games Online Great site with games and toons
- 123 Spill A Norwegian games site, ok games