User:Stephen Gilbert/Documentation survey
Just a personal survey of our current documentation. Jump in if you like...
- Wikipedia:Welcome, newcomers
- Essentially the same text that Larry wrote a long time ago, but it's aged well. Needs a little more refactoring, esp. the links at the bottom.
- Pretty good layout; not too overwhelming for a newcomer. Linked pages need updating.
- Not bad, if I do say so myself. ;-) More re-organizing and migration of old material is needed, esp. with Wikipedia:Contributing FAQ.
- Large and sprawling; difficult to navigate. Not really intended for beginners; should be turned into a complete documentation index, leave Help to be the more user friendly document.
- Main Page
Pretty bad; just a shotgun blast of links from the front page. We need a short introduction and a few relevant links.
- This is also much better now...
Need updating, editing or expansion
- Wikipedia:Intlwiki-L -- should probablybe redirected to Wikipedia:Mailing lists
- Wikipedia:What Google likes
- Wikipedia:Contributing to Wikipedia
- ...and also Wikipedia:How to add content to Wikipedia with minimal effort. Maybe these two should be merged.
- Wikipedia:Dealing with vandalism
- Wikipedia:Edit conflicts
- Wikipedia:Friends of Wikipedia
- This is Larry's old project. He looked at all the refering URLs in the logs and tried to keep track of them all. This page should be more selective; it needs heavy pruning.
- Wikipedia:How to be neutral when taking sides
- A good page, but needs editing to be a little less personal (use of first person, etc).
- Wikipedia:How to explore Wikipedia
Obsolete and/or redundant
Many of these are historically interesting and should be archived
- Wikipedia:Wiki Supreme Court
- Wikipedia:Non-English Wikipedias/Text To Translate
- Wikipedia:Article a day queue
- Wikipedia:Why Aren't These Pages Copyedited
- Wikipedia:Wikipedia NEWS
- Wikipedia:Building Wikipedia membership
- Wikipedia:French php translation page
- Wikipedia:GFDL History (unofficial)
- I think User:The Cunctator started this one. I'll ask him about it...
- Wikipedia:Handling edit conflicts
- Wikipedia:How do I do this
- Being merged with other FAQs; almost finished
The vaguelly current stuff has been put in Wikipedia:Nupedia and Wikipedia, the historical stuff has been moved to meta
Pages I think are particularly good
- Wikipedia:1911 Encyclopaedia Britannica
- Wikipedia:How does one edit a page
- Needs some slight updating, e.g. embeding images in text.
- Wikipedia:How to reduce colors for saving a JPEG as PNG
Documentation we need but lack
- A complete beginner's tutorial
- Detailed and up-to-date software user's guide
- all user interface links explained
- Ah, there's Wikipedia:User preferences help! I didn't know that.
- Software developer's guide
- good start at m:How to become a Wikipedia hacker