1516 1517 1518 - 1519 - 1520 1521 1522
| Decades: |
1480s 1490s 1500s - 1510s - 1520s 1530s 1540s
| Centuries: |
15th century - 16th century - 17th century
- March 4 - [[Hern�n Cort�s]] lands in Mexico
- June 28 - Charles I of Spain becomes Emperor of Holy Roman Empire as Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor (ruled until 1556)
- September 20 - Ferdinand Magellan leaves Europe to circumnavigate the world.
- November 8 - [[Hern�n Cort�s]] enters [[Tenochtitl�n]] and Aztec ruler Moctezuma welcomes him with great pomp as would befit a returning god.
- Erasmus publishes his Colloquia
- Martin Luther questions the infallibility of papal decrees
- Mannerism, artistic form appears in Italy and spreads
- Spanish find Barbados
- Cacao comes to Europe
- Panama founded
- April 13 - Catherine de Medici, queen of France
- July 22 - Pope Innocent IX (d. 1591)
- King Henri II of France (d.1559)
- Thoinot_Arbeau (anagram of Jehan Tabourot), author of Orchesographie
- January 12 - Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor
- January 21 - [[Vasco N��ez de Balboa]], Spanish explorer
- May 2 - Leonardo da Vinci, inventor, painter and widely regarded genius (b. 1452).
- June 24 - Lucrezia Borgia, illegitimate daughter of deceased Pope Alexander VI (b.1480)
- August 11 - Johann Tetzel, Dominican priest.ca:1519