1735 1736 1737 - 1738 - 1739 1740 1741
| Decades: |
1700s 1710s 1720s - 1730s - 1740s 1750s 1760s
| Centuries: |
17th century - 18th century - 19th century
- April 15 - - Premiere in London of Serse, an Italian opera by George Frideric Handel.
- November 13 - Ratification of the Treaty of Vienna
- The excavation of Herculaneum, a Roman city buried by Vesuvius in AD 79, begins.
- John and Charles Wesley form the Methodist Society, on their return to England.
- Stanislas receives Lorraine in exchange for renouncing the Polish throne.
- Pierre Louis Maupertuis publishes Sur la figure de la terre, which 'confirms Newton's view that the earth is a spheroid slightly flattened at the poles'.
- Franz Ketterer invents the cuckoo clock.
- Jacques de Vaucanson presents the world's first automaton, The Flute Player, to the French Academy of Sciences
- January 21 - Ethan Allen, American patriot leader
- May 27 - Nathaniel Gorham, American politician (+1796)
- June 4 - King George III of the United Kingdom.
- November 15 - William Herschel, astronomer (d. 1822)
- Arthur Phillip, first governor of New South Wales, Australia
ast:1738 bg:1738 ca:1738 cy:1738 da:1738 de:1738 et:1738 el:1738 es:1738 eo:1738 eu:1738 fr:1738 hr:1738 it:1738 he:1738 nl:1738 no:1738 pl:1738 pt:1738 ro:1738 ru:1738 sl:1738 sr:1738 fi:1738 sv:1738 tr:1738 uk:1738 zh:1738年