1774 1775 1776 - 1777 - 1778 1779 1780
| Decades: |
1740s 1750s 1760s - 1770s - 1780s 1790s 1800s
| Centuries: |
17th century - 18th century - 19th century
- The Cornish language died out
- 2nd edition of [[Encyclop�dia Britannica]] published
- January 3 - American general George Washington defeats British general Charles Cornwallis at the Battle of Princeton.
- January 12 - [[Mission Santa Clara de As�s]] is founded in what is now Santa Clara, California
- January 16 - Vermont declares its independence from New York becoming an independent country, a status it retained until it joined the United States as the 14th state in 1791
- June 13 - American Revolutionary War: Marquis de Lafayette lands near Charleston, South Carolina ito help the Continental Congress train its army.
- June 14 - Stars and Stripes adopted by the Continental Congress as the Flag of the United States.
- August 16 - American Revolutionary War: Battle of Bennington - British forces are defeated by American troops.
- September 3 - American Revolutionary War: The Flag of the United States flies in battle for the first time, at Cooch's Bridge in Maryland.
- October 17 - American Revolutionary War: Battle of Saratoga- American troops defeat the British.
- November 15 - American Revolutionary War: After 16 months of debate, the Continental Congress approves the Articles of Confederation in the temporary American capital at York, Pennsylvania.
- November 29 - San Jose, California founded. It is the first pueblo in Spanish Alta California.
- December 24 - Kiritimati discovered by James Cook
- The code duello is adopted at the Clonmell Summer Assizes as the form for pistol duels in Ireland. It is quickly denounced but nevertheless widely adopted throughout the English-speaking world.
- January 2 - Christian Daniel Rauch, sculptor
- February 12 - Friedrich de la Motte Fouque, poet
- March 17 - Roger Taney, Chief Justice of the United States
- April 12 - Henry Clay, American statesman
- April 30 - Carl Friedrich Gauss, mathematician, astronomer and physicist
- August 14 - [[Hans Christian �rsted]], physicist and chemist
- October 16 - Lorenzo Dow, founder of the camp meeting movement
- December 4 - Madame R�camier, writer
- December 23 - Emperor Alexander I of Russia
- February 24 - King Joseph I of Portugal
- September 22 - John Bartram, American botanist (b. 1699)af:1777
ast:1777 bg:1777 ca:1777 cs:1777 cy:1777 da:1777 de:1777 et:1777 el:1777 es:1777 eo:1777 eu:1777 fr:1777 gl:1777 hr:1777 it:1777 he:1777 nl:1777 no:1777 pl:1777 pt:1777 ro:1777 ru:1777 sl:1777 sr:1777 fi:1777 sv:1777 tr:1777 uk:1777 wa:1777 zh:1777年