1796 1797 1798 - 1799 - 1800 1801 1802
| Decades: |
1760s 1770s 1780s - 1790s - 1800s 1810s 1820s
| Centuries: |
17th century - 18th century - 19th century
- March 1 - Federalist James Ross becomes President Pro Tempore of the United States Senate
- March 7 - Napoleon captures Jaffa in Palestine and his troops proceed to kill more than 2,000 Albanian captives.
- March 29 - New York passes a law aimed at gradually abolishing slavery in the state
- July 7 - Ranjit Singh's men had taken their positions outside Lahore.
- July 15 - In the Egyptian port city of Rosetta, French Captain Pierre Bouchard finds the Rosetta Stone.
- July 25 - At Aboukir in Egypt, Napoleon I of France defeats 10,000 Ottomans under Mustafa Pasha.
- November 9 - Napoleon overthrew the French Directory
- December - Napoleon becomes First Consul
- The Dutch East India Company is dissolved.
- The Place Royale in Paris is renamed Place des Vosges when the Department of Vosges becomes the first to pay new Revolutionary taxes
- The American System of manufacturing is invented
- French Revolution (1789-1799)
- French Revolutionary Wars (1792-1802)-Second Coalition/Egyptian Campaign
- Napoleonic Wars (1799-1815)-Second Coalition/Egyptian Campaign
- January 6 - Jedediah Smith United States fur trapper and explorer
- January 31 - [[Rodolphe T�pffer]], Swiss teacher, author, painter and caricature artist. He is also considered to be the first modern comic creator.
- April 12 - Henri Druey, member of the Swiss Federal Council (+1855)
- May 13 - Catherine Gore, author (+ 1861)
- May 20- [[Honor� de Balzac]], French author
- May 21 - Mary Anning, British paleontologist
- May 26 - Aleksandr Pushkin, Russian author
- July 4 - King Oscar I of Sweden and Norway
- June 18 - Prosper M�ni�re, French physician
- September 8 - James Bowman Lindsay, Scottish inventor
- November 1 - Thomas Baldwin Marsh, early leader of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- December 30 - David Douglas, Scottish botanist
- January 17 - Maria Gaetana Agnesi, Italian mathematician
- February 7 - Qianlong Emperor of China
- February 19 - Jean-Charles de Borda, French mathematician, physicist, political scientist, and sailor
- May 4 - Tipu Sultan, Indian ruler
- May 18 - Pierre Beaumarchais, French writer
- June 6 - Patrick Henry, American revolutionary politician
- August 2 - Jacques �tienne Montgolfier, French inventor
- August 4 - John Bacon - British sculptor
- August 29 - Pope Pius VI
- October 6 - William Withering, British doctor
- October 24 - Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf, composer
- December 14 - George Washington, first president of the United States
- �tienne-Louis Boull�e, French architectaf:1799
ast:1799 bg:1799 ca:1799 cs:1799 cy:1799 da:1799 de:1799 et:1799 el:1799 es:1799 eo:1799 eu:1799 fr:1799 hr:1799 ia:1799 is:1799 it:1799 he:1799 lb:1799 nl:1799 no:1799 pl:1799 pt:1799 ro:1799 ru:1799 sl:1799 sr:1799 fi:1799 sv:1799 tr:1799 uk:1799 wa:1799 zh:1799年