1869 is a common year starting on Friday (link will take you to calendar).
1866 1867 1868 - 1869 - 1870 1871 1872
| Decades: |
1830s 1840s 1850s - 1860s - 1870s 1880s 1890s
| Centuries: |
18th century - 19th century - 20th century
- March 1 - North German Confederation issues 10gr and 30gr value stamps, printed on goldbeater's skin
- May 10 - Transcontinental Railroad completed at Promontory, Utah.
- May 15 - Woman's suffrage: In New York, Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton form the National Woman's Suffrage Association.
- May 26 - Last public hanging in Britain ? Fenian bomber Michael Barrett
- May 29 - British parliament passes the Capital Punishment within Prisons Bill ending public hanging
- August 4/12 - Emperor Norton I of the United States abolished both the Democratic and Republican parties.
- August 9 - Ferdinand Lassalle founds the SAP, the first socialist workers party in Germany.
- August 20 - Abergele Train Disaster - Irish Mail passenger train collides with cargo trucks loaded with paraffin - 33 dead; First major train disaster in Britain
- October 16 - England's first residential college for women, Girton College, is founded.
- November 4 - The first issue of scientific journal Nature is published.
- November 6 - The first intercollegiate American football game is played. Rutgers defeats Princeton, 6 to 4.
- November 17 - In Egypt, the Suez Canal, linking the Mediterranean Sea with the Red Sea, is inaugurated in an elaborate ceremony.
- November 23 - In Dumbarton, Scotland the clipper ship Cutty Sark is launched (it was one of the last clipper ships to be built, and the only one surviving to the present day).
- December 31 - Triple Alliance forces take Asuncion
- Basutoland becomes British protectorate
- British parliament ends transportation to Australia as punishment
- Venancio Flores murdered in Montevideo
- Ulysses S. Grant succeeds Andrew Johnson as President of the United States of America.
- Fire burns down about 75% of Hancock, Michigan
- Mahbub Ali Pasha begins a 42 year reign as Nizam of Hyderabad
- James Bennet of the New York Herald, asks Henry Morton Stanley to go and find Dr Livingstone, despite him not being lost or in difficulty.
- The Meiji Emperor of Japan accepts the surrender of the four most powerful clans (Choshu, Tosa, Hizen and Satsuma) and reappoints the clan chiefs as Provincial Governors, on reduced revenues.
- Invention of barbed wire, see ranching.
- Heinz Established
- January 10 - Grigori Rasputin, Russian mystic
- January 15 - Stanisław Wyspiański, Polish dramatist, poet, painter, architect (d. 1907)
- February 11 - Helene Kroller-Muller Dutch museum founder and patron of the arts
- February 14 - Charles Wilson, physicist
- March 5 - Michael von Faulhaber, cardinal and archbishop (d. 1952)
- March 14 - Algernon Blackwood, writer (d. 1951)
- March 18 - Neville Chamberlain, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (d. 1940)
- March 21 - Florenz Ziegfeld, theatrical producer (d. 1932)
- April 2 - Hughie Jennings, Baseball Hall of Famer (d. 1928)
- April 8 - Harvey Cushing, American neurosurgeon (d. 1939)
- April 11 - Gustav Vigeland, Norwegian sculptor
- May 14 - Friedrich Karl Kleine, physician (d. 1951)
- August 10 - Lawrence Binyon, poet and scholar
- September 2 - Fritz Pregl, chemist (Nobel prize 1923)
- September 23 - Mary Mallon, Irish domestic servant and cook, later famous carrier of Typhoid fever
- October 2 - Mohandas Gandhi, Founder of the modern Indian state, the original proponent of nonviolence in modern times
- November 25 - Herbert Greenfield, Premier of Alberta
- December 30 - Stephen Leacock, British-Canadian author and economist
- December 31 - Henri Matisse, painter
- March 8 - Hector Berlioz, French composer
- March 24 - Antoine-Henri Jomini, General (b. 1779)
- April 20 - Carl Loewe, composer
- May 11 - Hijikata Toshizou, 2nd commander of the Shinsengumi
- December 18 - Louis Moreau Gottschalk American composer, pianistaf:1869
ast:1869 bg:1869 ca:1869 cs:1869 cy:1869 da:1869 de:1869 et:1869 el:1869 es:1869 eo:1869 eu:1869 fr:1869 fy:1869 hr:1869 io:1869 is:1869 it:1869 he:1869 la:1869 hu:1869 nl:1869 no:1869 pl:1869 pt:1869 ro:1869 ru:1869 simple:1869 sl:1869 sr:1869 fi:1869 sv:1869 tr:1869 uk:1869 wa:1869 zh:1869年