1913 is a common year starting on Wednesday. (click on link for calendar)
1910 1911 1912 - 1913 - 1914 1915 1916
| Decades: |
1880s 1890s 1900s - 1910s - 1920s 1930s 1940s
| Centuries: |
19th century - 20th century - 21st century
- January 30 - House of Lords rejects Irish Home Rule Bill
- February 1 - New York City's Grand Central Station opens as the world's largest train station.
- February 3 - The 16th Amendment to the United States Constitution is ratified authorizing the Federal government to impose and collect income tax.
- February 3 – Trial of the remnants of the Bonnot gang begins
- February 17 - The Armory Show opens in New York City. It displays works of artists who are to become some of the most influential painters of the early 20th century
- February 19 - Prizes are included in Cracker Jack candy boxes for the first time
- February 27 – Freezing weather stops everything in Balkans
- March - Outpouring of monarchist sentiment in Russia when the House of Romanov celebrate the 300th anniversary of their succession to the throne
- March 4 - End of term for President of the United States William Howard Taft. He is succeeded by Thomas Woodrow Wilson.
- March 12 – Canberra becomes the federal capital of Australia
- March 13 – Assassination of Francisco Madero, president of Mexico
- March 18 - George I of Greece is assassinated.
- March 20 - Sung Chiao-jen, a founder of the Chinese nationalist party (KMT) is wounded in an assassination attempt and dies 2 days after.
- March 26 - Balkan War: Bulgarian forces take Adrianople.
- April 8 - Passing of the Seventeenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, dictating the direct election of senators.
- April 24 - Woolworth Building opening ceremony.
- May 13 - Igor Sikorsky becomes the first person to pilot a four engine aircraft.
- May 14 - New York Governor William Sulzer approves the charter for the Rockefeller Foundation which begins operations with a $100,000,000 donation from John D. Rockefeller.
- May 29 - Igor Stravinsky's ballet score The Rite of Spring is premiered in Paris
- May 30 - First Balkan War: A peace treaty is signed in London ending the war.
- June 4 - Emily Davison, a suffragette, runs out in front of the king's horse, Anmer, at the Epsom Derby. She is trampled and dies a few days later, never having regained consciousness.
- June 15 - Bud Bagsak Massacre: US troops under General John 'Black Jack' Pershing kill at least 2,000 relatively defenceless men, women and children, Bud Bagsak, Philippines.
- July 3 - Commemeration of the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg draws thousands of United States Civil War veterans and their families to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
- July 10 - Death Valley, California hits 134 °F (~56.7 °C) which is the highest temperature recorded in the United States (as of2004).
- August 20 - 700 feet above Buc, France, parachutist Adolphe Pegond becomes the first person to jump from an airplane and land safely.
- September 23 - French aviator Roland Garros flies over the Mediterranean
- September 29 - Rudolf Diesel disappears enroute to Britain
- October 7 - 13 - A storm on the North American Great Lakes kills 270.
- October 10 - US President Woodrow Wilson triggers the explosion of the Gamboa Dike thus ending construction on the Panama Canal.
- November 5 - The insane king Otto of Bavaria is deposed by his cousin, Prince Regent Ludwig, who assumed the title Ludwig III.
- November 6 - Mohandas Gandhi is arrested while leading a march of Indian miners in South Africa.
- December 1 - Ford Motor Company introduces the first moving assembly line, reducing chassis assembly time from 12 1/2 hours in October to 2 hours, 40 minutes (although Ford was not the first to use an assembly line, his successful adoption of one did spark an era of mass production).
- December 12 - Emperor of Ethiopia Menelik II dies and is succeeded by his grandson Iyasu V of Ethiopia.
- December 12 – Vincencio Peruggia tries to sell Mona Lisa in the Florence and is arrested
- December 30 – Italy returns Mona Lisa to France
- Female suffrage in Norway
- Greece annexes Crete
- British steamship Calvadas disappears in the Marmora Sea with 200 hands
- First crossword puzzle appears in the World newspaper
- Black Chamber, forerunner of NSA, founded
- de Sitter: speed of light is independent of speed of source
- Sagnac: speed of light depends on speed of rotating platform
- Painting September Morn creates a national sensation in U.S.
- January 6 - Loretta Young, actress (d. 2000)
- January 9 - Richard M. Nixon, President of the United States (d. 1994)
- January 15 - Lloyd Bridges, actor (d. 1998)
- January 18 - Danny Kaye, actor (d. 1987)
- January 29 - Peter von Zahn, journalist and writer (d. 2001)
- February 4 - Rosa Parks, civil rights activist
- February 6 - Mary Leakey, anthropologist (d. 1996)
- February 9 - Gypsy Rose Lee, actress, ecdysiast (d. 1970)
- February 11 - Lucio Diestro, composer.
- February 13 - George Barker, British poet (d. 1991)
- February 14 - Jimmy Hoffa, labor union leader (d. 1975 - disappeared)
- February 14 - Mel Allen, sports reporter (d. 1996)
- February 25 - Gert Fr�be, actor (d. 1988)
- February 25 - Jim Backus, actor (d. 1989)
- February 27 - Irwin Shaw, writer (d. 1984)
- March 4 - John Garfield, actor (d. 1952)
- March 13 - William Casey, director of the Central Intelligence Agency (d. 1987)
- March 18 - [[Ren� Cl�ment]], French film director (d. 1996)
- March 29 - Tony Zale, world champion boxer (d. 1997)
- March 29 - R. S. Thomas, Welsh poet (d. 2000)
- March 30 - Richard Helms, director of the Central Intelligence Agency (d. 2002)
- March 30 - Frankie Laine, singer
- April 27 - Philip Hauge Abelson, physicist co-discoverer of Neptunium (d. 2004)
- May 11 - Robert Jungk, publicist and futurologist (d. 1994)
- May 16 - Woody Herman, musician, band leader (d. 1987)
- May 20 - William Hewlett, cofounder of Hewlett-Packard (d. 2001)
- May 26 - Peter Cushing, British actor (d. 1994)
- June 10 - Tikhon Khrennikov, Soviet composer
- June 11 - Vince Lombardi, American football coach (d. 1970)
- June 18 – Robert Mondavi, leading American wine maker
- June 28 - Franz Antel, Austrian filmmaker
- July 14 - Gerald Ford, American president
- July 22 - Gorni Kramer, Italian bandleader and songwriter
- August 28 - Robertson Davies, Canadian novelist (d. 1995)
- September 5 - Frank Thomas, Disney animator (d. 2004)
- September 12 - Jesse Owens, American athlete (d. 1980)
- September 15 - John N. Mitchell, former United States Attorney General and convicted Watergate criminal (d. 1988)
- September 29 - Stanley Kramer, Academy Award Winning Movie Producer, director, and writer (d. 2001)
- September 29 - Trevor Howard, actor (d. 1988)
- September 29 - Silvio Piola, all-time highest Serie A goalscorer (d. 1996)
- September 30 - Bill Walsh, Movie producer and writer (d. 1975)
- November 2 - Burt Lancaster, actor (d. 1994)
- November 5 - Vivien Leigh, British actress (d. 1967)
- November 7 - Albert Camus, writer (d. 1960)
- November 10 - [[�lvaro Cunhal]], Portuguese communist politician
- November 22 - Benjamin Britten, composer (d. 1976)
- December 6 - Eleanor Holm - American swimmer (d. 2004)
- January 1 - Alfred von Schlieffen, German field marshal
- January 2 - [[L�on Teisserenc de Bort]], French meteorologist
- February 26 - Felix Draeseke, German composer
- March 10 - Harriet Tubman, Underground Railroad conductor, anti-slavery activist
- March 22 - Sung Chiao-jen, a founder of KMT
- March 31 - John Pierpont Morgan, American financier and banker
- June 5 - Chris von der Ahe, brewer, baseball owner
- July 3 - Horatio Nelson Young, American naval hero
- October 5 - Hans von Bartels, German painter
- December 12 - Menelik II, Emperor of Ethiopia
- Alfred Russel Wallace, Welsh biologist
- Physics - Heike Kamerlingh-Onnes
- Chemistry- Alfred Werner
- Medicine - Charles Robert Richet
- Literature - Rabindranath Tagore
- Peace - Henri La Fontaineaf:1913
ast:1913 bg:1913 be:1913 ca:1913 cs:1913 cy:1913 da:1913 de:1913 et:1913 el:1913 es:1913 eo:1913 eu:1913 fr:1913 fy:1913 ko:1913년 hr:1913 io:1913 is:1913 it:1913 he:1913 la:1913 lb:1913 hu:1913 nl:1913 ja:1913年 no:1913 pl:1913 pt:1913 ro:1913 ru:1913 sk:1913 sl:1913 sr:1913 fi:1913 sv:1913 tr:1913 uk:1913 wa:1913 zh:1913年